It becomes really hard to leave the home where you have grown, but shifting to a Fort Myers retirement living community is beneficial for the retirees, who are thinking of living in a smaller residence with advanced and new features and less maintenance. So, here the main things to look for while it comes to relocating to a retirement community.
- Location: In case you prefer to drive less, then you can choose to live in a retirement community in the downtown setting. Take a tour to the city neighborhoods and take notes of all the restaurants and shops, which are located at a walking distance. For a more relaxed destination, you can choose a retirement community near parks with tennis courts and walking trails for outdoor exercise. Some of the retirement communities also offer shuttles that transport residents, who don’t want to drive.
- Layout: The majority of the retirement communities offer different types of layouts, which take care of the comfort of the retirees. The single-story layouts come with the convenience of having the total living space on a single floor. Besides, there are some retirement communities, which are located on high-rise buildings and these offer elevators or escalators for the easy access of the residents. In case you can customize the options, then you can choose to install some assistance items like wall bars. Besides, you can also opt for two-story home with a basement or attic loft.
- Amenities: A number of communities are geared toward the retirees, who offer some additional amenities, which can’t be received while living in the single home. So, while researching about the on-site amenities offered by the retirement community like swimming pool, fitness classes or gym. In case you don’t prefer cooking and cleaning, then you can ask about housekeeping services or meal preparation.
- Security: For increased security, a number of retirement communities are gated with enhanced security systems along with 2 hours guard staffing. In some cases, the retirement communities also offer on-site therapeutic and medical services for enhanced convenience.
- Special opportunities: For maintaining active social life, search for the communities, which offer active in-house organizations. If you find group outings and social clubs are necessary for you, then choose the retirement communities with full time activities. Don’t forget to inquire about the cost as well as the free alternatives nearby, which are mainly offered at the local libraries and social centers.